Source: Coles Magazine
Serves: 8 - Prep: 1 hour (+ cooling & 4 hours chilling) - Cooking 35 mins
Tip: Make the dough for the crust up to 2 days ahead. Shape into a disc and store, in a plastic wrap, in the fridge. Finish making the tart up to 1 day ahead. Cover and store in the fridge.
Cooking Oil Spray
3/4 cup (125g) plain flour
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
85g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2 tbs water
1 tbs golden syrup
2 tbs Coles Brand Australian Thickened cream, at room temperature
110g Unsalted butter, chopped
1 tsp flaked pink or sea salt
1/2 cup (125ml) Coles brand Australian thickened Cream
80g quality dark chocolate (70% cacao) chopped
1/3 cup (40g) hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- To make the crust: Position the rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Lightly spray a 35cm x 11cm rectangular tart pan with the cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and salt to blend. Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar in the mixer bowl until pale and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low speed and gradually stir in the flour mixture.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tart pan to cover the bottom and sides evenly. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the dough all over. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked and looks dry and set. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool completely.
- To make the caramel: In a medium heavy saucepan, stir the sugar and water over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Using a moistened pastry brush, brush down the sides of the pan to remove any grains of sugar. Boil without stirring for about 5 minutes, or until the syrup turns a deep golden brown colour and registers 200°C on a candy thermometer. Add the golden syrup and then the cream and cook for about 30 seconds, or until the cream is slightly reduced. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the butter. Strain through a fine sieve. Cool the caramel slightly and mix in the pink salt.
- Pour the caramel into the cooled tart shell. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until set.
- To make the ganache: In a small heavy saucepan, heat the cream over medium-high heat just until hot. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, and set aside for 1 minute. Whisk the mixture just until blended. Pour the ganache into the tart shell to evenly cover the caramel layer. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until set.
- To serve: Remove the tart from the tart pan and garnish with the hazelnuts. Slice and serve.
Per serve: 5g protein - 36g of fat (21g saturated fat) - 60g of carbs - 3g dietary fibre - 586 cals