Source: Baker's secret Loose Base deep round cake Pan package
Serves: 8 - 10, Prep time: 15 min, Cooking time 1:15min
3 cups self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups caster sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
360g dark chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup cream
125g unsalted butter, chopped, extra
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan forced. Grease the base of a Baker’s Secret Loose Base Deep Round Cake Pan and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, salt and cocoa .Place the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Using a large metal spoon or spatula, fold in the flour mixture, alternating with the combined milk and vanilla. Spoon the mixture into the pan and place on a Baker’s Secret Medium Cookie Sheet. Bake for 1 hour and15 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in the pan, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting: Place the chocolate, cream and butter in a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (being careful the water doesnt touch the base of the bowl). Stir until fully melted and combined. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- When the chocolate mixture is cool, beat with an electric beater until thick and holding soft peaks.
- To Serve: Slice the cake in half and spread the bottom layer with a little frosting. Place the top layer on, then cover the top and sides with frosting. Serve decorated with strawberries if desired.