Serves 4 - Prep & Cooking 30 minutes
300g butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
350g fresh ricotta, crumbled
35g (1/3 cup) quinoa flakes
25g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 lemon, rind finely grated
2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, crushed
700g btl tomato passata
1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
Baby spinach leaves, to serve
Small basil leaves, to serve
Finely grated parmesan, extra, to serve
- Place the pumpkin in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High, covered, for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a sieve. Set aside to drain for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the ricotta, quinoa, parmesan, chives, egg and lemon rind to the pumpkin. Season. Stir until combined.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the basil and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Stir in the passata and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spoon four 1⁄4 cupfuls of pumpkin mixture into pan, spreading to 1cm thick. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Use an egg lifter to turn. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and pumpkin mixture to make 8 fritters.
- Serve fritters with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the spinach, basil leaves and extra parmesan.