Serves: 8 - Prep 15 mins (+ cooling & 15 mins setting time) - Cooking 20 minutes
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
4 x 60 g Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
10 g butter, finely chopped
300 ml thickened cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1/3 cup (110g) raspberry jam
1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
2 tbsp passionfruit pulp
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two 20cm (base measurement) round cake pans. Line bases with baking paper and dust sides with flour, shaking off excess.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on a clean work surface. Sift over combined flour and cornflour. Repeat 2 more times.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl for 8-10 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy and doubled in size. Gently sift the flour over the egg mixture. Use a metal spoon or balloon whisk to carefully and gently fold the flour through the egg mixture until almost combined. Combine butter and 2 tablespoons of boiling water in a small jug. Pour down the side of the bowl. Carefully fold until just combined.
- Divide between prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes or until cakes are dry and have shrunk away from the sides.
- Turn the cakes onto wire racks lined with baking paper. Carefully peel the paper away from the base of each cake. Set aside to cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream and icing sugar in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Place 1 cake on a serving plate. Spread with jam and top with whipped cream mixture. Top with remaining cake.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a medium bowl. Gradually add the passionfruit pulp, stirring until a smooth, glossy paste forms. Spread over the top of the cake. Set aside for 15 minutes to set.