I am still unsure if this is a sweet or savory dish, but anyway...
Serves: 12 Prep: 30 Min - Cook: 90 min
• 1 pound wide egg noodles
• ½ cup butter, plus more for greasing pan
• 2 pounds granny smith apples
• 1 cup whole milk
• 4 large eggs, beaten
• ¾ cup sugar
• 2½ teaspoons vanilla
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1-pound container sour cream
• 1-pound container cottage cheese
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup butter
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Butter a 13 by 9 by 2 inch glass or ceramic dish and set aside.
- Cook noodles in large stockpot in salted water according to directions until al dente.
- Drain well, then return to the pot and add butter, totally coating the noodles.
- In a large separate bowl, peel and shred apples and dry well with paper towels. Add in milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and add in sour cream and cottage cheese.
- Combine your noodles with the mixture, and transfer into the baking dish.
- Bake kugel for 1 hour until golden brown. While kugel is cooking, making caramel sauce. Melt sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar just starts to brown. Add in butter and whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream and salt.
- Once kugel is done, drizzle with caramel sauce and let stand at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm. Best served right after cooking. If you need to cook ahead of time, drizzle caramel right before serving. You can make the caramel ahead of time (up to 1 week), refrigerate, and reheat on the stovetop or microwave for just a few seconds before drizzling.