Servings: 6 - Prep: 90 min - Cook 35 min
3 cups (480g) mixed dried fruit
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
1/2 cup (125ml) brandy or orange juice
1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (85g) orange marmalade
1 teaspoon mixed spice
Coles Brand vanilla ice cream, or salted caramel ice cream, or brandy custard, to serve
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar mixture
125g chilled butter, coarsely chopped
1 Coles Brand Australian free range egg yolk
- Combine the dried fruit, apple, brandy or orange juice, sugar, marmalade and mixed spice in a large bowl. Cover and store in the fridge, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 days.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, almond meal, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and process until pastry just comes together. Turn onto a work surface dusted with flour and lightly knead until just smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.
- Reserve one-quarter of the dough. Roll out the remaining dough on a lightly dusted work surface to a 3mm-thick rectangle. Line an 11cm x 30cm rectangular fluted tart pan with removable base with the pastry and trim the edges. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the pastry case on a baking tray. Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 10 mins. Remove the paper and weights or rice. Bake for a further 10 mins or until light golden.
- Reduce oven to 180C. Spoon the fruit mince into the tart and smooth the surface. Roll reserved pastry on a lightly floured surface. Use star cutters to cut stars from the pastry. Place over the fruit mince. Bake for a further 15 mins or until pastry stars are light golden.
- Serve the tart warm or at room temperature with ice-cream or brandy custard.