Source: Coles Magazine May 2016 - Page 64
|Image source: Taste.com.au|
1 cup (250ml) warm milk
2 teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
1 tablespoon caster sugar
3 cups (450g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
80g butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (90g) finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
1/3 cup (75g) brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon thickened cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine milk, yeast and caster sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture and egg and stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Cover. Set aside for 1 hour to rise.
- Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce, combine the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cream and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until mixture boils and thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Grease and line the base of a 22cm (base measurement) springform pan with baking paper. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread with one-third of cinnamon mixture. Fold a short side of dough over two-thirds of filling. Fold remaining side over. Roll out to a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread with half remaining cinnamon mixture. Fold into thirds. Roll out to a 30cm x 40cm rectangle. Spread with remaining cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Drizzle over one-third of the sauce. Starting from 1 long edge, roll up to enclose filling. Cut crossways into 8 portions.
- Pour remaining sauce over the base of the prepared pan. Arrange the rolls, cut-side up, in the pan over the sauce. Cover. Set aside for 15 mins to rise.
- Bake for 10 mins. Reduce oven to 180C. Bake, covering with foil if overbrowning, for 30 mins or until golden and cooked through. Set aside for 30 mins to cool. Remove from pan.
- Place the icing sugar in a small bowl. Add enough water to make a runny paste. Drizzle over the top of scrolls.