2 teaspoons (1 sachet/7g) dried yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
3 cups (450g) plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
2 small lemons, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cornmeal (polenta)
1/2 cup (40g) parmesan, finely grated
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
8 small rosemary sprigs
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 1/4 cups (310ml) warm water in a bowl. Set aside for 5 mins or until foamy.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and ¼ cup (60ml) of the oil. Stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10-15 mins or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in side.
- Preheat oven to 220C. Grease a medium frying pan and place over high heat. Sprinkle sliced lemon with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Cook for 1 min each side or until caramelised.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Punch the dough down with your fist. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it returns to its original size. Roll out dough to a 20cm x 30cm rectangle. Sprinkle the polenta over the lined tray. Place the dough on the tray. Use the end of a wooden spoon to press dimples into the dough. Sprinkle with parmesan. Arrange the lemon, garlic and rosemary over the top. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown. Cut into slices to serve.