|Image Source: Taste.com.au|
Six 1-cup (250ml) ramekins or a 20cm square baking dish.
Softened butter, to brush
1 3/4 cups (385g) caster sugar, divided
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
4 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, separated, room temperature
90g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups (310ml) full-cream milk
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh lime juice
Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Brush sides of six 1-cup (250ml) ramekins or a 20cm square baking dish with softened butter. Refrigerate for 5 mins or until butter is firm. Dust ramekins or baking dish with 2 tbs of caster sugar and tap out excess sugar. Place in a 33cm x 22cm baking dish (if using ramekins, line larger dish with paper towel and arrange ramekins on top to stop them from sliding around).
- In a large bowl, vigorously whisk 1 cup (220g) of caster sugar and the citrus zests until sugar is moist and fragrant. Add egg yolks and whisk for 1 min or until creamy and pale yellow. Whisk in butter then flour and baking powder until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk and lemon and lime juices until smooth.
- In a clean and dry bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or in a large bowl, using an electric handheld mixer), beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add ½ cup (110g) of caster sugar, beating on medium-high speed, for 4 mins or until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted from meringue.
- Using whisk, gently fold half of meringue into batter until loosened. Fold in remaining meringue until just blended. Divide batter equally (about 1 cup per ramekin) among prepared ramekins or baking dish (there may be some leftover batter if using ramekins). Sprinkle tops of batter with remaining 1 tbs of caster sugar.
- Add enough boiling water to larger baking dish to come halfway up sides of the ramekins or the smaller square baking dish. Carefully transfer dish to oven and bake puddings in ramekins for 25-30 mins or until tops are golden brown. If baking pudding in the 20cm square baking dish, bake for 30-35 mins. Carefully remove the puddings from the water bath.
- Dust puddings with icing sugar and serve immediately.