Recipe by Curtis Stone
Serves 8 - Prep 20 min (+ 8 hours freezing & 10 min chilling time) - Cooking 20 mins
Non-stick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar, divided
3 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, at room temperature
2 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg yolks, at room temperature
200g high-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa), melted, warm
1 2/3 cups (410ml) thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks, refrigerated
1 1/4 cups (175g) hazelnuts
10g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoons sea salt flakes
7-cup (1.75L), 12.5cm x 23cm loaf pan.
- Spray the inside of a 7-cup (1.75L), 12.5cm x 23cm loaf pan with cooking spray and line with plastic wrap, smoothing plastic and leaving an overhang on all sides. Freeze.
- In a large bowl, whisk 3/4 cup (165g) sugar, eggs and yolks. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk constantly for 8 mins or until mixture is pale, thick and doubled in volume. Remove bowl from heat. Continue whisking for 2 mins or until mixture is room temperature.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold melted chocolate into egg mixture until just blended, being careful not to deflate mixture. Wipe spatula clean and gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture until just blended. Pour semifreddo mixture into frozen pan, smooth top, cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or until frozen.
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Toast hazelnuts on a baking tray for 10 mins or until golden and skins are blistered. Wrap hazelnuts in a kitchen towel and let steam for 1 min. Rub in the towel to remove loose skins (don’t worry if some don’t come off).
- Meanwhile, spray a baking tray with cooking spray. In a medium heavy saucepan, bring remaining 1/2 cup (110g) sugar and 2 tbs water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, for 6-8 mins or until caramel turns a dark amber colour. Stir in hazelnuts, butter and salt to coat.
- Carefully pour hazelnut mixture onto prepared tray, arranging hazelnuts in a single layer. Set aside to cool. Coarsely chop. Reserve in an airtight container.
- Place a serving platter and plates in freezer. Remove semifreddo from freezer and refrigerate for 10 mins or until it has softened slightly. Invert pan onto frozen platter. Remove pan and plastic. Cover top of semifreddo with hazelnuts. Slice, wiping knife clean after each cut, and serve immediately on frozen plates.