Easy Strawberry Banana Bread
Source: Coles Magazine September 2016 - Page 12
Serves 12 - Prep 30 min (+ 5 mins cooling time) - Cooking 1 hour
|Image source; Taste.com.au|
10cm x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pan
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1 cup (220g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 overripe bananas, mashed
2 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
150g butter, melted
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
1 cup (130g) chopped strawberries
Strawberries, halved or quartered, extra, to decorate
75g strawberries, finely chopped
1 tablespoon caster sugar
125g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 10cm x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pan with baking paper, allowing the 2 long sides to overhang.
- Place the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk the banana, egg, butter and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Add the egg mixture and chopped strawberry to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the strawberry buttercream, combine strawberry and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5 mins or until the sugar dissolves and strawberry breaks down. Cook for 2 mins or until mixture thickens slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a bowl until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat in the strawberry mixture.
- Spread the strawberry buttercream over the top of the banana bread. Top with halved or quartered strawberries.