Source: Woolworths Magazine Fresh - December 2016 - Page 11
Image source: Woolworths website
1 bunch of Thyme
4 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cooking salt
1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1.6 kg whole chicken
20g butter, softened
1 small head of garlic, halved
green salad, to serve
Mustard dill sauce
2 egg yolks
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbs finely chopped dill
1/2 cup light olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Strip leaves from half the thyme and combine in a bowl with flour and salt. Whisk together 11/2 cups cold water, oil and egg. Stir into flour mixture to form a dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll dough out until 4mm thick and large enough to enclose chicken.
2. Gently loosen skin from chicken breast and spread butter under skin. Fill cavity with remaining thyme sprigs and garlic. Secure legs with string. Season chicken with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Place chicken onto centre of dough. Wrap dough around chicken and seal edges together along top of chicken, trimming excess. Transfer to tray. Brush with olive oil. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until dough is crisp and golden. Transfer to a serving platter.
4. For mustard dill sauce, process egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard and dill in a small food processor until combined. With motor running, slowly add light olive oil until a smooth sauce forms. Season with salt and white pepper.
5. Break crust open to serve chicken. Serve with sauce and salad.