Source: Coles Magazine - Christmas issue (2016) - Page 82
|Image source: Taste.com.au for coles|
125g butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Red liquid food colouring
Sprinkles, to decorate
Sugar stars, to decorate
100's & 1000's, to decorate
1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg white
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat to combine. Add the flour and baking powder and stir until a smooth dough forms. Divide the dough into 2 even portions. Use red food colouring to tint 1 portion red. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 15 mins or until firm.
- Roll out the plain dough on a lightly floured surface to a 25cm x 30cm rectangle. Repeat with red dough and carefully stack on top of plain dough. Use a sharp knife to trim the edges. Starting from 1 long end, gently roll up to form a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 mins or until firm.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle another baking tray evenly with sprinkles, sugar stars and 100’s and 1000’s, keeping them in separate rows. Lightly brush the log with the egg white and carefully roll in the sprinkles, sugar stars and 100’s and 1000’s to coat.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 5mm-thick slices. Place on the lined tray. Bake for 10-12 mins or until light brown. Set aside on the tray to cool.